04 July, 2011

So remember that iPad painting I did of the mist-enshrouded mountain? I had it printed to canvas by the people at Cafe Press in the hopes of gifting it last Xmas...but the printing didn't look so hot. All the darks in the foreground printed nearly black, and there was very little color/value differentiation in the piece--like they crushed it into a very contrast-y, very muddy painting.

So I asked them to reprint it. Which they did gratis (thank you, Cafe Press).

But it still looked blown-out and muddy.

So I did the only thing a respectable artist could do in such circumstances: I pulled out my brushes. Had to go buy some Turpenoid, and found my palette lacking any yellow except Naples (which, c'mon, is really more like beige), but spent an enjoyable morning on each one and I must say that, however rangy the results, there is satisfaction in the pine trees. Here's the first effort:

These photos exaggerate the palette difference, but it is true I seriously cooled the grassy ski-run on the top (second) effort.

I like this idea of serio-printing images on canvas, then giving them a good "impasto" pass. Might be able to sell them in an Aaron Bros. for a few bucks....

p.s. The iPad original still looks best in digital format.

No comments: